Monday, January 26, 2009

Install VLC on your Fedora

I have always wanted to do this for quite a long time. My creaky CPU fan and the dwindling HD memory made me think of upgrading my system. Thats when I thought why not re install the Xp and the fedora.
This may not be helpful to my readers, yet this is for me :) i tend to forget things where i keep, esp the help files.

install VLC on Fedora 8
***********************

[deepu@localhost ~]$su -
[deepu@localhost ~]$yum update

You must be connected to internet to for the below two commands.

[deepu@localhost ~]$rpm -ivh http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-stable.noarch.rpm

[deepu@localhost ~]$yum install vlc


else get the source from http://download.videolan.org/pub/videolan/vlc/0.9.8a/vlc-0.9.8a.tar.bz2

$ bunzip2 vlc-0.9.8a.tar.bz2
$ tar -xvf vlc-0.9.8a.tar
$ cd vlc-0.9.8a
$ ./configure
$ make
$ make install

In case of any dependancy errors, install the dependancy first and try installing the vlc again. Anyhow, yum is the best way if you are connected to internet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot deepu for the help.
I installed Vlc player in my Fedora 9 using the yum method.Now i can enjoy music n movies in linux too...

Thanks once again.
Keep up the good work!!!



Nishank Mendon (nishank1187@gmail.com)