Monday, November 10, 2008

Nordic resilience?

I am in Oslo for the past two weeks and…. Oslo is similar to any contemporary European port city and…. its quite costly, given the limited(miserly :( ) daily allowance from my employer, I had to be very careful not to burn my wallet. The high cost of living in Oslo may be due to the landscape of the country. Being a northern Scandinavian country, I should have thought about this early, atleast my employer should have. Surprisingly the Europeans have thought of this, and my European counterparts have a higher daily allowance for cities like Oslo and Paris. Well, that could raise another question, and I do not want to raise an issue here. Otherwise, Oslo is a really an international city, and I found a little natives living here. I got a chance to visit one of numerous museums, in fact Oslo can be called a city of museums, FRAM museum, that holds the ship that had had made a longitudinal cross country of earth, reaching both north pole and the south pole. Earlier I wasn’t that interested, since I have a bad taste for museums. I had really contemplated the thought of writing a travelogue, hence I had thought of giving a photographic tour of the museum.



IF you know something or anything about Ronald Amundsen, you might have studied in your fourth grade, you may have something interesting here. The FRAM is a hardy ship built in 1800s, handled by two great explorers, Nansen and Ronald Amundsen. The two explorers are Norwegians, particularly Oslovites. What impressed me is the majesty of the ship.

No comments: