Friday, November 17, 2006

A tribute to Tolkien

And his master piece..infact two masterpieces, The Hobbiton and the Lord of the Rings. What made me write this? Was it the excellent stroy telling by the maestro himself? or the incredible imagination that he emulates on our minds? or I was too involved.. It has been quite a long time since I read the book( I cant forget those days, maybe I can say it as one of the main reasons for my sixth sem flunk).... "You gotta be really nuts to read such a huge book", My friends used to say.
As for me, the book was a bible, as it triggers imagination out of bounds..creating a sense of aura around you, feelling one among the characters, you could be Aragon or Logolas or Eomer..or even Gimli save his long beard.. I know this post is outdated, but I really liked to give a go as a tribute to the master storyteller.
When the LOR trilogy was released by peter, I was overwhelmed and also disappointed to see what I had imagined. Credits to him, that the picturization almost came upto the imagination, except for the sheer size...ofcourse you couldn't expect all the weird things you think to be realised. One thing I was always sceptic about Tolkien is that did he write the novel keeping europe in his mind, coz the map of the middle earth almost resemble the europa and the middle east.. This could lead to further debates like if the middle earth resembles Europe( or the western world here), then who are they fighting with.. the middle east?.. When you look at the minute deatils of the map, You could find that the land of death valley has oil spurts at places, covered with ash.. does it hit u with oil reserves of the middle east?
Man.. this is getting serious.. I'll stop with this. this is the problem with me.. I started this praising tolkien ending up as his critic..
But Tolkien always denied any allegerical motif to the dangers of the present or the appeasement of the leveling effects of modernism. Tolkien being a post Imperial writer, you might be tempted to think that he might be lamenting on the gradually losing glory of the old england.. We could also make a silly comparison of the hobbits to the europeans.. living peacefully, unarmed, Protected by the Rangers of the north,yet can rise to the occasion, if the situation demands. we could also level up more comparison. but as of now end this up , will be continuing in the next post...........

No comments: